Wednesday, September 16, 2009

DAILY TIP FOR A BETTER DAY: PROCRASTINATION HURTS MORE THAN JUST DOING WHAT YOU NEED TO DO

Happy Hump Day to Everyone!

Today's 60 second tip is one I know about ALL TO WELL. Today we are talking about one thing; procrastination. (With a "P" boys...a "P," so get your head out of the gutter:)

Since Monday I have had a list of things I needed to do; that I wanted to do really. As my boyfriend ironed his collared shirts for the work week Sunday night, I decided I needed to do something productive as well and helping iron was out of the question. (I'm not sure if I was sick for a week in 6th grad home economics, but I am HORRIBLE at ironing.)

So I left my boyfriend, his iron and the VMA's to go to my desk and make a list of all the items for Monday I wanted to accomplish. I proudly filled the bright pink stick note with items, placed it aside and rejoined the circus on my TV.

The list was short and mainly all about writing a few emails. Monday passed quicker than anticipated, then Tuesday and, well you know the rest of the story. It is now Wednesday afternoon at 2:50pm. I just worked out, the house looks spotless, my closet is now ready for fall, but the bright pink list of items has not yet been touched.

Have I thought about the list? Yes, lots, but I haven't done a thing. And as more days pass the tasks seem increasingly more daunting and difficult. As I began to think about today's blog though I opened my email, looked at the list and accomplished one of the things.

It was if the heavens parted or a mac truck was removed from my chest as I pressed the "send" button from my account. It was at that second I had a revelation. I wasn't doing what was on the list because I thought it would be hard or painful, but in reality there was more pain in NOT doing what was on the list. The avoidance hurt more than the actual task.

SO TODAY'S 60 SECOND TIP OF THE DAY: STOP PROCRASTINATING BECAUSE IT HURTS MORE THAN JUST DOING WHAT YOU NEED TO DO! (Either that or just don't make the list at all:)

Be blessed until tomorrow.

Lucy D.

No comments: